Sunday, September 25, 2011

Me and Language

Matthew Ellor

Language to me is a form of communication in many different forms, spoken language, written language, body language, aural language and my favored visual language.  My first language is English I speak, write, and (often) understand it.  I was raised learning England English but grow up on American English.  What was interesting to me is that even though the U.S. and the U.K. native language is both English, there are some big and a lot of small some noticeable others not so noticeable, differences between the two within all the many forms of language.  The way I talk with friends is in English but it’s more colloquial, depending on who I’m with because I have an economically, racially, demographically diverse group of friends.  I learned to speak through hearing my mom and family and friends talk, seeing them interact with other people, reading their body language.  Other things that I remember really enjoying and that i believe helped was having stories read to me and attempting to read books my self, another influence was music I learned the language at a young age of 3 ½ beginning to learn the cello and I know it has positively impacted my relationship with language.  Quality, understanding and usage of language in all its forms effects how people perceive you and how the world gets along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment